First, identify and clarify the symptoms, such as…
- Careless work habits
- Reckless use of school property
- Chronic complaining/criticizing about school work, games at recess, school policies…
- Disrespectful attitudes toward others: criticism, bullying, mocking
Next, determine whether the problem is a general group attitude or whether it’s caused by one or two influential students.
Address the problem at the “lowest” level first, such as…
- Work with the one or two individuals that are at the root. Solicit the help of their parents.
- Address the class as a whole, name the problem, and describe the standards you expect. Let them know when they reach your expectations.
- Discuss the issue with the administration/school board and have them determine a course of action. Report ongoing results to them.
- It may be necessary to have the board call a meeting of all parents of students involved to outline the issue and request their support and cooperation in resolving the issue.
Through the whole endeavor, be sure to maintain a good, prayerful attitude yourself!