Here’s the main part of our school’s absence policy. (I left out a couple of things, but this is the meat of it.) If you’re going to implement something like this, it’s important to stick to it pretty rigidly and make sure the administration and board are firmly behind it.
Legal absences are limited to the following:
1. Medical (illness, quarantine, recovery from accident, etc.)
2. Death in the immediate family, near relative, or close friend.
3. Impassable roads, when resident school district is closed or delayed.
4. Trips to the dentist, doctor, or other medical reasons; however, a not from the doctor is required.
5. Six (6) days to work on family farm.
6. Exceptionally urgent reasons
7. “Special Excuse”: to encourage family unity and togetherness, the school will allow absences for families to spend time together. The days must be spent with your immediate family.
8. The following guidelines apply to planned absences of more than two (2) days:
-The parent/guardian must provide written request for the exusal at least two (2) weeks prior to the excusal.
-The excusal must be approved by the school.
-The Student must be accompanied by a parent or guardian approved by the school.
-Upon returning, the student must submit a 500-word report to the office summarizing the learning experience.
NOTE: All other reasons for a student absence need to be sent to the school office. However, they will be considered unexcused because they are illegal absences.
Excuse cards are available anytime at the office. If a parent does not have an excuse card, a phone call to the office or a note from home with the date, reason for absence or tardiness, and parent signature will be acceptable. Excuse cards are required for all absences and morning tardiness by noon on the day following the absence. Students who fail to meet this requirement will be considered unexcused.
COMPLETING MISSED ASSIGNMENTS
For all absences, excused or unexcused (including absences due to work permits), the student will be required to make up any work, such as quizzes, tests, reports, and graded homework. The student is responsible to collect his homework assignments from the day(s) he was absent. Teachers my be available to give extra help. If homework is not completed or no arrangements are made, a zero (0%) will be given for the incomplete work.
After three (3) illegal absences, any further illegal absence will result in a zero (0%) for any work to be turned in for all classes that day.