April 18, 2017 at 11:52 AM #21471Vernon Kuhns@vdk1980
I would be interested in having several schools share their written (or even “previously unwritten”) job descriptions for their various board members. If you have more than a Chairman, Treasurer & Secretary (our 3 board positions), what roles do these additional members fill?
April 18, 2017 at 2:28 PM #21482Lucas HiltyAdmin@lucashfbep-org
Great question. To start things off, here’s one from Gerald Miller: http://thedockforlearning.org/contributions/board-job-descriptions/
March 26, 2018 at 4:51 PM #46641Vernon Kuhns@vdk1980
It looks like Lucas’ link (to a useful document) was the only traffic my question generated. It covered the job descriptions pretty good. I would still be interested in hearing how some other school boards are structured. I know that quite a few schools with patrons from multiple churches have more than a 3-man board. Are more of you willing to share how your structure works, including length of term?
March 26, 2018 at 5:03 PM #46643Brian Martin@brianjmartin
Officers and Duties of Officers
1. The School Committee shall consist of brethren from Mid-Atlantic Mennonite Fellowship churches. Included in the School Committee shall be two ministerial advisers taken from the Mid-Atlantic Fellowship. The school board shall give general supervision of the school and be responsible for the maintenance of the property holdings, and the expenditures for the fiscal year, and to give annual reports to patrons of the school. Copies of the annual report shall be made available for all the constituent congregation.
2. Officers of the school board shall be as follows: chairman, vice chairman, secretary, treasurer, and fifth member. Curriculum shall be approved by the Committee in cooperation with the principal.
3. In the event that an unworkable problem develops in the school board, whether in school administration or committee function, the Pleasant Valley Mennonite Church ministry shall be responsible for making the final decision. The removal or addition of any committee member is the responsibility of the Pleasant Valley Mennonite Church ministry.
The chairman chairs the board meetings. He stays abreast of the workings of the school and communicates with the principal prior to each meeting to develop an agenda. He communicates it to the board members prior to the meeting. The chairman needs to be available to offer input on issues that need to be decided between meetings, thereby the principal and chairman act as the school administrator. The chairman needs to be part of any meeting with teachers or teacher prospects concerning employment. The chairman needs to communicate with parents concerning any issues of student discipline.
The vice chairman assists the chairman with his responsibilities and fills in if the chairman is not available. He also assists with teacher re-hiring meetings.
The secretary is responsible to take minutes at meetings and distribute them to all members of the board in a timely fashion. The secretary is responsible to maintain the historical record of past decisions and to bring it to attention of the board if a new decision doesn’t comply with a previous decision.
The treasurer is responsible for overseeing the finances of the school. He needs to communicate regularly with the office staff to understand the availability of operating funds. He needs to oversee the budgeting process and provide regular updates to the board of the financial health of the school. The treasurer is responsible to contact patrons that are not current with their tuition payments.
The fifth member acts as a general advisor to the board. He is responsible to provide someone to babysit in the gym at PTF and is expected to moderate PTF meetings and should be available to assist any of the other positions upon request.
Ministerial advisors are general advisors to the board, especially in spiritual matters.
The board reorganizes itself at the last meeting of the fiscal year. The new member is required to serve as Fifth Member the first year.
The outgoing member is in charge of the Board / Staff Christmas banquet.
The fifth member’s wife is expected to assist the previous fifth member’s wife in organizing hot lunches.
Election and Tenure of Office
1. Only members of the Mid-Atlantic Fellowship will be eligible to serve on the five-member school committee. Two of the school committee members need to be part of the Pleasant Valley congregation. The patron body will elect committee members as needed from a slate prepared by ministry of supporting churches.
2. The reorganization of the School Committee shall take place at least 30 days prior to the first day of the new school year.
3. The tenure of office of committee members shall be five (5) years, and they may not succeed themselves.
4. The ministerial advisors shall serve a three year term. The advisors will be asked to serve by the Pleasant Valley Mennonite Church ministry.
Qualification of Officers and Teachers
1. For the office of the principal: his life and practice shall exemplify loyalty and adherence to the Confession of Faith and practice of the Pleasant Valley Mennonite Church.
2. For the office of the dean of education: he or she is expected to conform to the qualifications of the principal and teachers.
3. For the office of the teacher: he or she shall present in written form his or her position on religious, educational, or other qualifications as may be required by the School Committee. An oral commitment may be satisfactory for reappointment.
4. Each teacher shall carry forward the regulations of the school and encourage loyalty to the standards held by the Pleasant Valley Mennonite Church.
Administration of the School
1. The principal shall be responsible for the administrative work of the school. In the absence of the principal, the dean of education shall have general oversight of the administration work of the school.
2. The teachers shall keep accurate record of pupil(s). Attendance credits and transcripts of the pupil shall be supplied when requested.
3. Auditors from the congregation where the treasurer is a member shall audit the treasurer’s accounts, including the holdings of the committee and the operation expenses for the fiscal year.
4. The school administrator shall be appointed by the school committee.
5. A school administrator shall monitor all interpersonal relationships.
6. In case of dissolution of the organization, the Pleasant Valley Mennonite Church Inc. shall pay all liabilities and distribute the remaining assets among charitable organizations; otherwise, dissolution is to take place according to the laws of the State of Pennsylvania. All congregations involved shall assist in paying any liabilities not covered by the assets of the school.
7. In the event that a discrepancy arises concerning administration, discipline, or regulations, the Pleasant Valley Mennonite Church ministry shall be the final voice.
1. Families who are members of the Pleasant Valley Mennonite Church shall have first consideration by the School Committee.
2. When space permits, other families may have the privilege of attending this school if they agree to support the school’s standards of conduct and give financial support as agreed upon.
1. A Parent-Teacher Fellowship Committee shall plan at least two public meetings in a school year. They shall also coordinate any promotional activities. They shall be elected by the School Committee to serve a two-year term. There shall be two patrons serving as PTF members, plus the new member of the School Committee serving as chairman of the PTF Committee. As many congregations as possible shall be represented on the PTF Committee.
2. The School Committee in cooperation with the Pleasant Valley Mennonite Church ministry shall be responsible for any major changes or expansion of the school buildings.
3. The Hot Lunch Committee will consist of the wives of the present and the previous Fifth School Committee Member. The previous Fifth Member’s wife will be in charge.
When there is a need for additional committees, they will be appointed by the school officials.
- The forum ‘School Board’ is closed to new topics and replies.