In this recorded Zoom meeting, three teachers discuss their schools’ approaches to the challenges of the shutdown.
From the meeting chat:
What is the best way to exchange weekly packets?
Nelson: That depends on how much social distance you are trying to maintain. We had a scheduled pickup time spread out through a Saturday so that there wasn’t a rush of people all at a certain time.
Byron: We have 120 students; we do deliveries for Gr 1-6 and have 1 hour slots for the Gr 7-12 to come to school for pickup and test checking (so as not to exceed groups of 10).
Question for Anna: How much emphasis are you putting on summative assessment in elementary? If any?
Anna: Speaking only for myself as an elementary teacher: We’ve done a few tests but I suspect we’re going to have to ignore those results and go to a pass/fail. We will have so few tests, that it would be unfair to assign report card grades in my opinion.
Any advice when you don’t have supportive parents or when parents are unable to help children (unable to speak English)?
Byron: We send home copies of lesson answer keys on a weekly basis (mostly Christian Light and Saxon curriculum). We send them in a “parent envelope.”
Links mentioned in the discussion
Unless otherwise noted, you are free to use this work under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
CONTRIBUTOR: Austin Shenk
CONTRIBUTOR: Anna Zehr
CONTRIBUTOR: Kendall Myers
- Best Practices for Distance Teaching During COVID-19 (Webinar)
- Flattening the Grading Curve: End-of-Year Video
- The Good Things of This Time: Guiding Lower-Elementary Learning at Home
- Faithful to the End: A Web Meeting for Administrators and High School Students
- How Will You Talk about COVID? Framing the Conversation for Your Students
- A Prayer During COVID-19: The Speed of Grace
- An Announcement to Parents Regarding Coronavirus
- Covid 19 Response Parent Letter (EMCS)
- COVID-19 Announcement to Parents with School-from-Home Plan
- COVID-19 Lesson Checklist (Sporting Hill)
- COVID-19 Plan (Antrim)
- COVID-19 Response (Sporting Hill)
- Daily Goal Sheet (EMCS)
- Daily Learning at Home Checklist (Third Grade)
- Daily Lesson Checklist for Home Study
- FBCS Letter to Parents Regarding Coronavirus
- High School Assignments during COVID-19 Break (Antrim)
- Homeschool Plan (EMCS)
- Homeschool Plan: Parent Letter (MCS)
- More Reading on a Reasonable Response
- Operation Raven: A Shutdown Letter to Patrons
- Plan for Home Schooling during COVID-19 Break (Countryside)
- Poll: How is your school responding to the coronavirus?
- Sample Student At-Home Assignment Instructions
- Seeking a Right Way: Preparing for Schooling at Home
- Weekly Goal Sheet (EMCS)